When did you both start DJing – and what or who were your early passions and influences?
- I (Arjun Nair) started DJ-ing back in 2007 when I was just out of school & Nishanth started when he was 16 years old. We had a huge passion for House music which was very underground back then. Some of our early influences were Armin Van Buuren, Benny Benassi, Fat Boy Slim, John Digweed, Steve Angello, Axwell, Faithless, Gui Boratto, Daft Punk, BT, Eric Prydz and Carl Cox!
What do you personally consider to be the incisive moments in your artistic career?
- Some of the most incisive moments in my artistic career has to be in my early stages of my career; the introduction into nightlife and watching it evolve over different genres with time and across different cities. This really changed my perspective of DJ’ing as a career choice.
Where did the name come from?
- Well ANSWER is a collaborative effort of Nishanth AKA.DJ Stallion and myself (Arjun Nair) to start with. We started doing a lot of Back 2 back sets when we first met in 2012. We reached a stage where we felt we needed one single entity to describe our sets together and so we took the initials of our names which is ‘AN’ from Arjun Nair and ‘S’ from Stallion and we had ANS. which is short form for ANSWER. We liked the sound of that and we always considered our music more like the ANSWER to the growing Dance music culture in India. Hence the name.
- The DJ set-up is very common 3 Pioneer CDJ 2000′s and DJM 900 and the next addition will be a Pioneer RMX 100
- Production wise Ableton & FL studio loaded with some VST plugins Sylenth1, Nexus, Diva, Camelphat. KRK Rockit 5′s studio monitors and a M-audio M-track Plus.
Which one of these came first? Was it Djing, Production Or Promoting ?
- Well DJ’ing came first for sure and supported with the right amount or promotions. We got our heads and hands deep in production at the moment.
Who’s throwing the best parties at the moment?
- Internationally its a big game because there are so many people with unique ideas throwing some of the craziest parties!
The folks at Nocturnal Networks are known for throwing some incredible parties, our best gigs are with them always!
Which other countries have you performed /put parties on?
- We’ve played across 11 cities in India in 2014, safe to say we’ll be branching out Internationally this year!
What was the first event you ever played at/put on?
- It was back in 2008 where I played at a New Years Eve party at a reputed Hotel.
What’s the best event you’ve played at/put on?
- This is a tough one, quite a lot of them actually. Some of our favourites have to be Vh1 Supersonic festival in Goa & while sharing stage with International superstars like QUINTINO, Bassjackers & Firebeatz at their respective concerts in Bangalore.
What was your first record you bought?
- Cassius – Sound Of Violence
Out of all the tracks in your crate, which one never fails?
- Gui Boratto – No Turning Back (David Tort Remix)
What’s you favourite track / record / album / mix set of all time?
- Favourite record has to be Supermode – Tell Me Why, Daft Punk – One more time. Album will be Porter Robinson – Worlds
When all the partying is over how do you like to chill out?
- We like a lot of silence, kickback & relax a bit by watching videos that inspires us or maybe even a movie.
How important is being in fashion as a Dj ?
- Its extremely crucial. You have a 1000 eyes on you all the time. You need to be able to inspire them! Your clothing, your body language and your interaction with the crowd. Everything matters!
How do you stay up to date with fashion?
- We usually follow the DJ’s we really look up to and sometimes its just a bit of trend spoying when we travel to different cities and gigs!
Follow them here:
Facebook Page: https://www.fb.com/